The Gowanda's Historic Hollywood Theater is a rural center for the cultural arts, cinema, plays, lectures, meetings, etc. Registered as a New York and national historic landmark, the Hollywood Theater is recognized as a architectural treasure in need of restoration and is currently under restoration. History of Gowanda's Historic Hollywood Theater Hollywood Theater opened on April 16, 1926. Owner: Richard Wilhelm. Architect: renowned theater architects Leon Lempert and Son of Rochester. Hosted big bands, famous vaudeville performers, first run motion pictures and live performances. Interior consisted of two exterior playbills beside wood and brass entry doors, white Vermont marble floor lobby, 990 seats, brass railings, oil painted murals, ornate plaster trim, 22' convex bowl-shape dome ceiling. 1992 - Doors close in October. Building abandoned. Water, weather and lack of heat damages the building. Most fixtures remain intact. Hollywood Theater named as New York State and National Historic Registry landmark. 1997 - The Gernatt Family of Companies purchased the building and donated it to the Gowanda Area Redevelopment Corporation (GARC). Grass-roots volunteers, "The Friends of the Hollywood" begin fundraising. 1997 - GARC receives grant from New York State Environmental Protection Fund for restoration of Hollywood Theater.